Facebook Advertising Case Study
The campaign was carried out over 9 days in December 2013 and consisted of three campaigns.
All of them were based on what Facebook calls a ‘Promoted Page Post’, which means a click on the advert will take the visitor to a post on your Facebook page.
This keeps the visitor within the Facebook environment and so according to the Facebook experts I have talked with will cost less than sending them to an external page (eg. your website).
I will cover that aspect in another case study (watch for announcements in the Facebook group – and please do join us if you haven’t already).
The Facebook page I will be sending people to if they click the ad is here: https://www.facebook.com/marketingbible
The cost was £25 and the campaign ran for 3 days.
- Ad Reach: 10,206 (screenshot below was taken just before the campaign ended)
- How many clicked on the ad: 75
- How many signed up as new members: 24
- Cost of each additional member: £1.04 ($1.70)
- Click through rate: 0.735% (clicks on the ad)
- Conversion rate: 32% (ad click to member sign up)
Change: seasonal image of Christmas tree
The cost was £10 and the campaign ran for 2 days.
- Ad Reach: 6,933
- How many clicked on the ad: 31
- How many signed up as new members: 13
- Cost of each additional member: £0.77 ($1.26) – 25% cheaper
- Click through rate (CTR): 0.447% (clicks on the ad) – lower CTR!
- Conversion rate: 42% (ad click to member sign up)
Change: Seasonal image of smiling woman
The cost was £5 and the campaign ran for 1 day.
- Ad Reach (how many saw it): 1,047
- How many clicked on the ad: 24
- How many signed up as new members: 1
- Cost of each additional member: £5.00 ($8.17)
- Click through rate: 2.292% (clicks on the ad) – 314% increase
- Conversion rate: 4.17% (ad click to member sign up) – significantly lower
Facebook Advertising Case Study Summary
The best CTR came from campaign number 3, which ironically also had by far the worst conversion rate (visitors were obviously far more interested in the image than the message)
Campaign 2 produced the best result for our purpose even though the CTR was 40% lower. The audience was more receptive to the message attracting new members for 25% less.